Vermilion 15-year-old dies while conducting experiment he saw on YouTube

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

VERMILION, Ohio -- A 15-year-old Vermilion boy was electrocuted while reportedly trying to conduct an experiment he saw on YouTube.

The Erie County Sheriff's Office reports that it happened at about 6 p.m. Tuesday. Emergency crews treated Morgan Wojciechowski at the scene and then took him to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Authorities say Morgan was trying to perform an experiment called "Jacob's Ladder." The experiment involves a high-voltage traveling arc of electricity between two points.

The teen saw the experiment on YouTube, and authorities say he then attempted it in his garage. His family was home at the time.

Vermilion Local School District released the following statement regarding the incident:

"On behalf of Vermilion Schools we would like the greater community to know that we are brokenhearted about this tragic loss to our school community.  Morgan was a vibrant student and athlete who was well liked at Vermilion High School.  Our thoughts and prayers are with Morgan’s family, and we continue to be available for anything they need.

While we can appreciate the importance of reporting this story, we ask that you allow us to focus our efforts on helping the family, our staff and students cope with the loss of this wonderful young man.  At this time we would prefer not to make any additional comments about this tragic event.  Thank you for understanding."