BRUNSWICK, Ohio - Mel Wurm is the bakery director at Mapleside Farms and loves creating festive treats for any holiday. Mel showed Fox 8's Kristi Capel how easy it is to make bunny themed sweet treats that are perfect for any Easter or Spring celebration.
Click here to learn more about Mapleside Farms including their popular barn concert schedule.
1 roll (16.5 oz) refrigerated sugar cookies
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 container (12 oz) fluffy white whipped ready-to-spread frosting
Pink gel food color, if desired
22 miniature marshmallows
Assorted size candy sprinkles
Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, knead cookie dough and flour with hands until well mixed.
Reshape dough into 9x1 1/2-inch log.
Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes.
Remove plastic wrap.
Cut cookie dough into 33 slices.
Cut 11 slices into 4 equal wedges; shape each wedge into ovals for bunny feet.
Place cookie dough slices and bunny feet on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 8 to 12 minutes or until edges are light golden brown.
Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
In medium microwavable bowl, stir frosting and 1 to 3 drops pink food color until well blended.
Microwave uncovered on High 10 to 15 seconds or until soft but not translucent.
To make bunny butt, frost 1 whole cookie slice and 2 bunny feet with frosting.
Place bunny feet on bottom of cookie as shown in photo.
Place 1 marshmallow in center of each cookie for tail.
Decorate bunny paws with candy sprinkles.
Repeat with remaining cookie slices and bunny feet.
Ingredients and Supplies
1 box yellow or white cake mix
Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
Tray or cardboard covered with wrapping paper and plastic food wrap or foil
1 container vanilla frosting
Red food color
1 large marshmallow, cut in half
3 cups shredded coconut
Green food color
2 strawberry or cherry stretchy and tangy taffy candies
1 roll chewy fruit snack orange in color
3 green-colored sour candies, separated into strips
1 ½-quart ovenproof bowl
Muffin pan & cups
Bowl for frosting
Tray for assembling & serving cake
- Bake cake according to box directions. Be sure toothpick comes out clean!
2. Place bowl cake on tray cut side down. Use frosting to adhere cupcakes to bowl cake for feet and bunny tail. Use toothpicks if necessary. Place marshmallow halves, cut sides down, on tops of 2 cupcakes to make heels of feet.
3. Spread thin layer of frosting over side and top of cake to seal in crumbs.
Freeze cake 30 to 45 minutes to set frosting.
4. After spreading the remaining frosting over cake, sprinkle 2 cups of the coconut over the bunny; press gently to adhere. Shake the coconut and a few drops of food coloring in a covered jar to achieve your desired color for both the bunny “fur” and grass.
5. Use a rolling pin to press strawberry candies into 2 large rectangles. Cut 2 large ovals and 6 small circles out of candy. Press onto bottoms of bunny feet, using frosting if needed to secure.