Couple recovering from Columbus machete attack calls survival a miracle

COLUMBUS, Ohio– High school sweethearts Gerald and Debbie Russell are thankful to be alive after a man with a machete attacked customers at a Columbus restaurant last week.

Police said 30-year-old Mohamed Barry walked into the Nazareth Restaurant and Deli on Thursday and injured four people with a machete. Officers shot and killed him following a police chase.

The Russells said they had just finished their dinner when the suspect came up to their booth.

“He walked directly at me, raised the machete up and tried to hit me from above, directly on top of my head,” Gerald¬†told WSYZ in Columbus.

“I started screaming and cursing, which brought the attention away from Gerry a little bit, which got him a chance to push the guy out of the way,”¬†said his wife of 25 years.

Gerald Russell said their attacker went to the back of the restaurant, where he started beating other patrons.

The couple spent Valentine’s Day weekend in the hospital. Both have cuts all over their hands and arms. Debbie nearly lost a finger.

One victim remains in critical condition, ABC News reported. The fourth person was treated and released.

Continuing coverage of the attack here

Nazareth Restaurant & Deli