PASSAIC, New Jersey – A mother and her one-year-old son are both dead after carbon monoxide from a blocked tailpipe came into their car.
According to NBC New York there is also a 3-year-old girl in critical condition.
Officials say the father, Felix Bonilla, was cleaning off the snow-covered car during the blizzard that hit the east coast this weekend.
The mother, Sasha Bonilla, got into the car with her two kids to escape the cold.
The tailpipe was entirely covered by snow as Felix begin to shovel it out.
“The gas couldn’t go out and it had nowhere to go except inside the car,” said Passaic Mayor Alex Blanco.
After shoveling for a few minutes the father looked into the car to see that his wife and children were unconscious.
When first responders got to the scene, the mother and son were unable to be saved and the little girl was rushed to a local hospital.
A witness said EMTs and police officers were crying.
“My son, he can’t even say nothing, he can’t even move, he can’t even talk,” said Felix Bonilla’s father.