NFL will not take disciplinary action against Johnny Manziel after roadside argument

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CLEVELAND-- The NFL said there is an "insufficient basis" on which to take disciplinary action against Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel following his roadside argument with his girlfriend in Avon.

Here is the NFL's entire statement:

"Consistent with the procedures of the league’s Personal Conduct Policy, we have examined the available evidence regarding the recent incident involving Johnny Manziel. Our investigation included a thorough review of information from law enforcement and our own interviews with multiple individuals, including the two involved in the incident. Based on the information gathered, we have concluded that there is an insufficient basis on which to take disciplinary action. In all cases of this nature, our concern under the Personal Conduct Policy goes well beyond the issue of discipline, and we have made comprehensive professional resources available on a confidential basis."

 

Manziel released the following statement Tuesday evening:

“I appreciate the NFL’s  diligence and discretion in reviewing a situation that was both personal and embarrassing. Colleen and I cooperated fully with the NFL’s process and completely support their goals of making sure that every family under their umbrella is safer and more secure. I’m grateful that the review was so thorough and fair that there should be no question left in the public mind about what actually happened. I’m looking forward to focusing my energies on our start against the Ravens and bringing in a win for our fans in Cleveland.”

Investigators had been looking into whether Manziel violated the league's personal conduct policy during an Oct. 12 argument with his girlfriend. Colleen Crowley told police Manziel hit her. Manziel was not arrested or charged.

**Watch dash cam video of the incident above**

On Tuesday, the Browns named Manziel the starting quarterback for the rest of the season.

Stay with FOX 8 News and fox8.com for continuing coverage. CLICK HERE to read much more about Johnny Manziel and the incident.