Authorities take 16-year-old into custody after manhunt in Green

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GREEN, Summit Co. -- A 16-year-old suspect was taken into custody after an early morning car theft and manhunt in Green Thursday.

Only Fox 8 News was at the scene as deputies and SWAT Team members cornered the teen in a field off of Global Gateway, just west of Akron-Canton Airport, around 10:30 a.m. Investigators said the teen threw a stolen handgun as he ran from authorities before they apprehended him.

According to the Summit County Sheriff’s Office, the ordeal began around 1 a.m., when Harring Road resident Todd Jarvis called 911 after waking up and witnessing his unlocked pickup truck being stolen from his driveway. Jarvis said he first noticed a car at the end of his driveway along the usually-quiet road, and then his truck started.

“It was actually kind of a shock,” Jarvis said. “Did I start it myself? Stealing was not even in my mind. Then, it dawned on me rather quickly.”

The sheriff’s office said deputies tried to stop the truck on Steese Road, and the three people inside ran away. Jarvis said they ditched his pickup truck in a field, leaving valuables inside. Another neighbor told Fox 8 News a Nikon camera, stolen from his vehicle overnight, was recovered.

“There was some weird stuff in the back. I couldn’t tell if they were pipes or tire gauges. It was odd,” Jarvis said. “There were people's purses; there were cell phones in there.”

According to investigators, deputies located a getaway car on Harring Road. As deputies stopped the car, authorities said the people inside tossed a semi-automatic rifle out the window onto Massillon Road. Deputies said Michael Wilson, 21, of Youngstown and Tyler Rogers, 26, of Akron took off but were apprehended and charged with Theft of a Motor Vehicle.

Deputies questioned three other people, who were found inside the car. A 10-month-old infant was also inside the car. The 16-year-old escaped and evaded capture until late morning, when authorities located him with the assistance of aerial surveillance. He was evaluated for minor injuries and released. Investigators said additional charges are pending.

Stick with Fox 8 and for more.