I-Team: City official promises action after 911 call delay in baby death

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CLEVELAND - The FOX 8 I-Team is getting action after raising questions about a delay after a 911 call last week when a baby got shot.

Assistant Cleveland Safety Director Tim Hennessey said he had not heard the call until the I-Team played it for him. He immediately promised to get to the bottom of it.

Last Thursday, a 5-month old girl died after getting shot in a car sprayed with gunfire. An adult in the car called 911 from a cell phone. The call went first to a county dispatcher. Then it was transferred to the city.

But, on a recording, we heard a phone ringing and silence for 90 seconds until someone picked up.

For years, all cell phone 911 calls in Cleveland have first gone to a county communications center, and then the calls have been transferred to the city.

However, Cleveland dispatchers have just moved into a new communication center. They are beginning to take some 911 cell phone calls directly. The assistant safety director says the city dispatchers should be handling all calls in the coming months.

Meantime, stay with FOX 8 for an update on what happened with that phone call after the deadly shooting.