Supreme Court same sex ruling:some things you need to know to get married in Cuyahoga County
CLEVELAND – A Cuyahoga County Probate Court has started issuing marriage license to gay couples following the Supreme Court’s ruling that same-sex couples have a right to marry in all 50 states.
The ruling doesn’t take effect immediately because the court gives the losing side roughly three weeks to ask for reconsideration, but Cuyahoga County Probate Court Presiding Judge Anthony J. Russo says it’s clear what the court’s intention was.
Forty-four-year-old Rob Rivera and 34-year-old Dan Seifried of Cleveland Heights were the first pair to apply for a marriage license in the county court following the ruling.
The couple plans to be married Friday evening by Cleveland Councilman Joe Cimperman in front of family and friends.
What do you need to know get a marriage license in Cuyahoga County?
Here’s a rundown of what’s required:
- The fee for a Marriage License is $60.00. The court accepts cash, money order, cashier’s check, MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express credit or debit cards. There is a $2.95 convenience fee to use a credit or debit card.
- Bring a valid photo id: such as a passport, driver’s license. Your birth certificate will also be needed to verify certain information.
- In the State of Ohio, the application for a marriage license must be made in the county of either applicant. If neither applicant is a resident of Ohio, the application must be made in the county in which the ceremony is performed.
- Both parties are required to be present at the time of making the application for the marriage license. If either, or both applicants are physically incapacitated, their physician must complete and affidavit as to the physical disability, and this affidavit shall be filed with the application for the marriage license.
- Each applicant must provide a social security number.
- If either party has been divorced, the places, dates and case numbers of the divorces are required. A certified copy of the last divorce decree must be presented at the time of application.
- Please note that the license is valid for 60 days from the date of issuance.
- Cuyahoga County will let you pre-register for a marriage license. You will need to enter the following information: your address, your occupation, your father’s name, your mother’s maiden name and the city and state you were born in. Even if you don’t pre-register, you will need this information too.
You can click here to head to the Cuyahoga County Probate Court marriage license registration page.