The 8th Annual Downtown Cleveland Restaurant Week is underway and runs through March 1st. The theme this year is 'comfort food' and nearly 50 restaurants are participating including Adega at the 9. Executive Chef Eddie Tancredi shared his favorite comfort food recipe with Fox 8's Stefani Schaefer and explained how Downtown Cleveland Restaurant Week is the perfect time to venture out of your comfort zone and try a new place.
Tancredi Sunday Sauce
8 oz. pork shoulder cut into 1-inch strips
8 oz. loose Italian sausage
8 oz. ground beef
1 oz. olive oil
1/2 onion diced
2 garlic cloves shaved thin
1 tsp. dry basil
1 tsp. dry oregano
1 oz. tomato paste
Splash red wine (*Whatever wine you use)
2.5 lb. canned Roma-style tomatoes (*Use San Marzano-style tomatoes, if possible)
3 sprigs fresh basil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 lb. of your favorite pasta
- In a large pot, sear pork shoulder, sausage and ground beef separately until golden brown. Remove from pot and reserve.
- Keep fat in pot; add shaved garlic until it turns light golden brown. Top with diced onions.
- Add dry basil and dry oregano along with the tomato paste and stir with wooden spoon.
- Add splash of red wine and cook until reduced.
- Add tomatoes and break up by hand. Simmer for 10 minutes with fresh basil.
- Add reserved pork shoulder, sausage and ground beef to sauce. Simmer for two hours until tender. (*You will know once pork is falling apart from itself.)
- Keep meat intact; do not whisk or break up.
- Make the day before; cool and reheat for best flavor
- Serve with artisan bread
- Serve with a hearty thick pasta, such as rigatoni
- Finish with fresh Parmesan cheese