STOW, Ohio -- Stow police are warning residents after a rash of burglaries, some of which happened at night when the homeowners were sleeping.
According to a post on the Stow Police Department's Facebook page, many of the burglaries involve the suspect entering homes through open garages or unlocked doors. The thief has stolen purses, jewelry, a gun, laptops, tablets and food.
Some of the harder-hit areas include the Bayside Lake Development, Darrow's Lake Development, Huntington Hills area, Calls Farm Development and the Surrey Hill Lane area.
Items also taken from unlocked cars include purses, wallets, money, laptops and GPS units.
The department provided the following tips to reduce residents' chances of becoming victims:
• Check and lock all your home’s doors and car doors.
• Eliminate dark areas around your home and have exterior lights on from dusk-to-dawn.
• Install lights on timers inside your home.
• Install motion detecting security lights.
• Consider installing an alarm system.
• Install video surveillance cameras at your home.
• Look out for your neighbors.
• Don’t ignore when your dog barks or security lights come on.
• Don't leave valuables within sight in your car or home.
• Call 911 IMMEDIATELY when you see something suspicious.