LAGRANGE, Ohio-- The untimely death of a local high school student-athlete, due to an overdose of caffeine powder, has prompted a call for a ban on the product.
18-year-old Logan Stiner was the All-American boy, a gifted and outgoing student, a talented athlete and the prom king at Keystone High School.
Then in May, just before graduation, Logan was found dead in his family's home in Lagrange. The Lorain County coroner would later conclude that he died from an overdose of powdered caffeine. Dr. Stephen Evans told FOX 8, "What it does is, it leads to cardiac arrhythmia, speeding heart and it leads to seizures and those two things are what took his life."
For Keystone athletes who trained with Logan Stiner and looked up to the 18-year-old, his death was a wake-up call about the danger of using caffeine powder as a supplement.
Senior Tyler Polen told FOX 8, "You know nobody really knew so I bet you after the news came out, we all watch how much caffeine there is in supplements and stuff." Senior Jacob Mezera added, "No one really knew that this could happen but now that it's out there, definitely try to prevent any tragic event like this from happening again."
In response to the death of Logan Stiner, Senator Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut announced on Thursday that he is calling on the Food and Drug Administration to ban powdered caffeine, a teaspoon of which is the equivalent to 25 cups of coffee.
Upon hearing the news, Jacob Mezera said, "Kids don't realize how dangerous it is if you don't take it in small amounts, and so I think it's great that to get the awareness out, and prevent another event like this."
Kobe Whalen added, "It's upsetting, you know that he's not with us anymore, but it's great to know that he's still making an impact on others."