Cell phone starts fire under teenage girl’s pillow

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

TEXAS — Something one cell phone company warns its users about reportedly led to a fire under the pillow of a 13-year-old girl in north Texas.

According to KDFW, Ariel Tolfree, 13, had a Samsung Galaxy S4. She said she recently fell asleep after using her phone, and it slipped underneath her pillow.

She woke up to the smell of something burning. Her phone and its battery had apparently overheated and started a fire.

Samsung says it’s important that consumers be educated about rechargeable batteries that come in most cell phones, and that it posts a warning in its user guide, telling customers that covering a cell phone with materials like bedding can cause a fire.

Samsung did, however, agree to replace Ariel’s phone and bed.

For much more on this story, click here.