Boston Marathon Runner: ‘I’m Ready to Go Back’

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LAKEWOOD, OH -- A Northeast Ohio runner says he is determined to run the Boston Marathon again, one year after the deadly bombings.

Tish Close of Lakewood says she still plans to support her husband, Evan, when he runs in the Boston Marathon again on Monday.

They were there one year ago when bombs exploded at the finish line, killing three people and injuring more than 260 others.

"We heard it and we felt it, and then we saw ambulances coming down the street," said Evan.

Last year was Evan's first Boston Marathon, but 7th marathon overall.  He had crossed the finish line about an hour before the bombs went off and was about a block and a half away.

Evan says he and his family heard the first explosion and were not sure what was happening.

"Shortly thereafter, we heard the second explosion, and that's when we saw an unmarked police car come barreling down the street with its lights on and people came rushing out of the Prudential Building and we really had no idea what was going on. We knew something wasn't right," Evan said.

"It was a scary experience, but we're all safe and none of us were injured, and I think we're all just humbled by the experience, but also a little angry that someone could do this," said his wife, Tish.

Investigators say two brothers are responsible.  One was killed in a shootout; the other faces trial.

Evan says despite last year's attack, he will be there to run again this year and his wife will be right there to cheer him on.

"I don't think I'm nervous...when people like that do those kind of things, you don't let it control you, you don't let it bother you," said Tish.

"I'm nervous for the race. I'm nervous about how I'm gonna do, but safety-wise, no not at all...I'm ready to go back," said Evan.

Click here for continuing coverage on the Boston Marathon.