Official: Heater Caused Fire at Happy Trails Farm Animal Sanctuary
RAVENNA, Ohio– A heater inside a barn at Happy Trails Farm Animal Sanctuary caused the fire that killed four animals on Friday, according to Ravenna Township Fire Chief Steven Bosso.
Bosso said it’s unclear if the heater malfunctioned or was placed too close to something.
Executive Director of Happy Trails, Annette Fisher, said it was amazing how quickly the fire spread.
About 30 bales of hay acted like an accelerant making the fire more difficult to contain. The structure sustained so much damage on the inside that it is a total loss.
Two cats and two sheep were rescued; but, two goats, a pot belly pig and a rooster could not be saved.
Happy Trails relies totally on private donations. A major fundraiser next month usually goes to the daily operations and upkeep. But, Fisher said now about $10,000 will be needed to rebuild the barn.
To find out more about Happy Trails Farm Animal Sanctuary and A Night of Hope and Inspiration fundraiser, click here.