PICS: Mystifying ‘Light Pillars’ Shine in Ohio

Posted on: 12:29 pm, January 22, 2014, by , updated on: 06:08pm, January 23, 2014

Photo Gallery Expand 1 of 14
  • I took this pic on January 22 at about 7:50 am on my way in to work in Willoughby. I'd never seen the sunrise go UP quite like that!

• Raejean Yarger Johnson & Cory Johnson Ontario, Oh 21 Jan 14 Breathtakingly! Beautiful!

• Light Pillars in Mansfield, Ohio, photo taken by Lyndi Oakley

• Light Pillars in Mansfield, Ohio, photo taken by Lyndi Oakley

• Light pillars early morning January 22, 2014. Taken at St Barnabas church in Northfield OH.

• (Courtesy: Lisa Hernandez)

• (Courtesy: Lisa Hernandez)

• (Courtesy: Lisa Hernandez)

• (Courtesy: Jamie Amsbaugh)

• (Courtesy: Jamie Amsbaugh)

• (Courtesy: Jamie Amsbaugh)

• (Courtesy: Jamie Amsbaugh)

• (Courtesy: Brian Bednarz)

• (Courtesy: Jeannie)

MANSFIELD, Ohio — On a clear and cold night, beams of light appeared to be coming from the ground and shooting skyward.

Fox 8 News viewers captured the phenomenon in Mansfield late Tuesday and early Wednesday.

The lights are mystifying and beautiful, and yet perfectly logical.

Fox 8 Meteorologist Scott Sabol explains the light pillars in the video below.

If you took pictures of your own, feel free to add them to the gallery by clicking the submit button below.

If you’d like credit for your photo, you may include your name in the “description” box.  Please note there will be a delay before the image appears on the site.

Submit Your Photo

• Triciab says:

:( no video

• Ashlandgirl says:

I saw these last night. I live in Ashland. It was pretty cool.

• tammy says:

I saw them just before 6 am this morning on my way to work in Twinsburg. I wanted to get a picture but it would have made me late for work, lol.

• Nicole says:

i saw this last night around 12:15. on 30 between fifth avenue and Ashland road exit. it was awesome. the video doesn’t work. i want to know what caused it

• Meg says:

I live in Mansfield and seen them last night. So cool and so beautiful! I’ve never seen anything like that before. It maybe a once in a lifetime thing and I’m sure the closest a lot of us will ever come to seeing the northern lights,Lol.

• Wade Dolamore says:

I would’ve loved to view Scott’s explanation of the light pillars, but the video would not play on my Kindle Fire HDX. Can you send the videos in a compatible mode?

• JMA says:

Scott looks like Michael J Fox in Teen Wolf

• Robert Doyle says:

We have them all the time up here in Alaska !

• Nancy Gardner says:

I was able to see the video. The light pillars, which are usually only seen in Alaska and other cold regions are created when there is enough moisture in the atmosphere to make the ice crystals, then the city lights shine on these crystal and they give the look of pillars.

• Robin Jane says:

Apparently we are so accustomed to this magnificent world that God created that HE now has created a new marvel to catch our attention.

• The sky is loaded with Orbs, but he has nuthin to say about that!
    REV18

• Pamela Augustin says:

I sure noticed the large amount of orbs! It’s awesome!

• Todd Wooton says:

THAT is called snow. Most people have seen it and know how it works, so there’s no need to explain it to the painfully small number that thinks it is paranormal in nature.

• Sorc Eress says:

auroa borealis. Ive only seen it twice but it was beautiful.

• Michae says:

Rev 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

• roy says:

This light is do to messive ball of gravity thats coming from the south of the planet. These light are not the only light you will see in coming days . See if you can see any different light when sun about to get down and on sun rise
    To learn more seach for bpearthwatch on youtube. He has few videos up
    God be with you all Amen

• se ve hermoso no puedo creer que es natural,saludos desde Buenos Aires, Argentina!! :)

• Thomas Macdonald says:

Quick sombody call sam & dean winchester….lol

• That explanation is questionable. I suggest people have their snow tested. Take it to a lab and see what’s in it. Geoengineeringwatch.org.

• Ronald LaCourse says:

II did not get to see these pillars, but I need see the base of a rainbow the other day on either side of the sun. If in warm weather it is a rainbow, so in winter, is it considered a snowbow? Any comments,, let me know. Any meteorologists have answers, let me know?

• Ronald LaCourse says:

• Ronald LaCourse says:

The snowbow was about 730 in the morning as the sun was rising in the east. Anyone else see them, heading east on 480 from 77 junction?

• M Gonfishing says:

Some believe they can indicate a possible earthquake…see other articles.

• Pam says:

My husband saw two “columns of light” toward evening near Wapakoneta, OH— he said they looked like rainbows (same colors) only in a column.