Berea Rec Center Evacuated After Chemical Leak
BEREA, Ohio — The Berea Recreation Center was evacuated Monday after reports of a chemical leak, the Berea Police Department told Fox 8 News.
Two members were taken to the hospital to get checked out, according to Berea’s Director of Public Safety.
Their conditions were not immediately known.
A call reporting a chlorine leak was made around 9 a.m. when there was a strong chemical odor in the pool area.
It was later determined to be sodium hypochloride, a high-powered bleach used to sanitize the pool.
The Southwest hazmat team along with the Berea police and fire departments were at the scene.
A power outage caused the pool pumps to shut down but the valve that releases the chemical stayed open.
When the power returned, it pushed the chemical into the pool.
The rec center reopened shortly after 11 a.m. but the pool was closed for additional testing.