Bus Driver with ‘Christmas Spirit’ Honored by Students

Posted on: 4:51 pm, December 19, 2013, by , updated on: 04:30pm, December 19, 2013

SHAKER HEIGHTS, Ohio – Any day is a good day to tell someone how much they are appreciated. Some school children had a holiday surprise for their beloved bus driver.

Usually just a handful of Onaway Elementary students are waiting to be picked up at their stop on Morley Road and South Woodland in Shaker Heights.  But, bus driver Fred Taylor found dozens of children and their parents there Thursday morning.

“No wonder nobody is at the bus stop. Love you guys,” Taylor said while blowing kisses to the students and their parents.

Mr. Taylor’s riders said he has the ‘Christmas spirit’ all year round and they just wanted to show him how much he is appreciated.

“Mr. Taylor, he’s the most warm-hearted, compassionate person, who you would ever meet. He is much more than a bus driver to us,” said parent Todd Corbin.

For the way Mr. Taylor ‘warms’ their heart; they had a holiday gift for him — a new warm coat.

“I love the coat. Being a stage four cancer survivor, it’s a wonderful thing to be here to put smiles on your faces and joy in her heart,” he said.

Mr. Taylor has missed some time driving bus #64 in the past 20 years.  He is a two-time cancer survivor who underwent a bone marrow transplant in 2009.

The students said Mr. Taylor makes them feel special every day, so, they just wanted to show him how much they appreciate him.

“Every one of you and your children are special to me. These are my babies too. You might have had them biologically, but they’re my children too. Thank you so much,” Mr. Taylor said while giving the children a group hug.

• Judy Bateman says:

This is really spreading love. The driver hasn’t given up. He may have cancer but it doesn’t have him. Children know who cares.

• kathie says:

Time to showcase the good people in this world — thank you, Mr. Taylor.

• Darlene says:

I wish there were more heart warming stories like this. It should remind us that there is a lot of good in this world of ours still out there.

• dub says:

Truly a special person, warm hearts are hard to come by nowadays.

• God bless the Shaker Heights community that recognizes the greatness in Mr.Taylor….. Have a fabulous day all!!!

• blt says:

Incredible story. I just love it. Alright negetive people, come on with the foolish comments.

• Mr matterman says:

Wonder what the atheists thought of this story!

• Mr Matterman, I am an atheist and think it is a wonderful story! Why would we think any differently? I, and my atheist friends do good things all the time. We may not believe in the same things, but kindness and caring know no boundaries.

• Ken says:

What does being an Atheist have to do with this story? That comment shows just how truly ignorant you are. This story had nothing to do with religion but a loser like you had to make it about that. You may think you’re a Christian but you are NOT! Judge not!

• Chelsea says:

Fred is a very close friend of my family and I can tell you that he is even more amazing than this shows. He has one of the most beautiful hearts I have ever encountered and the world would truly be a better place if we had more sweet souls like his.

• God Bless you Mr Taylor this story Give our family hope with our Dad whit you being a stage 4 cancer Survivor

• graceacrosby says:

I rode Mr. Taylor’s bus as a child and he deserves all this love and more. What an incredible, caring heart this man has.