Residents Warned of Coyotes After Attack

Posted on: 12:37 pm, November 1, 2013, by , updated on: 02:32pm, November 1, 2013

MANSFIELD, Ohio — Local authorities in Mansfield were tracking a pack of coyotes Friday after a man doing some lawn care was attacked.

He was riding a mower while blowing leaves along Springmill Road shortly before noon.

According to the Mansfield Police Department, about four coyotes rushed at him from a wooded area and one jumped up on the mower, scratching him.

The man’s jacket was torn and he suffered an injury to his arm but was able to drive himself to the hospital.

The game warden responded to the area.

Coyotes are not native to Ohio but can typically be found throughout the state’s 88 counties.

Click here to read what to do if a coyote is in your backyard, as explained by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.

• Michelle Johnson says:

I live on Louis st. I have seen them several times in the woods between my house and the country club.

• Linda Zeszut says:

I live in Parma , and just saw three coyote at my fence , it’s a retreat , with deer and other animals , but there are people that walk the oaths back there

• Dennis says:

I see them outside Canton near Louisville but for some reason when you shoot the pack leader with a .308 at about 600 yards they don’t come back for a really long time.

• Heron says:

I’ve wanted to attack noisy leaf blowers myself.

• Mindy says:

Did he drive the mower to the hospital?

• Jae Caskey says:

I would like to know which part of Springmill Street this happened on

• B. Smith says:

I can’t see why they would say that they are not native to Ohio because we have a pack of them living in the woods behind our place. My husband hears them all of the time – sometimes it’s scary because they are so loud at times.

• Scott Smith says:

I don’t know where they get their info, but coyotes don’t travel in packs they are lone creatures, wolves are pack animals and wild dogs that are running all over the place. Coyotes are native to every state of north america they travel always on the move.

• steve douglas says:

public sugar in downtown Cleveland !

• Trea says:

I believe cyotes normally keep their numbers to 4 to 5 max – certainly not a pack. Interbreeding with domestic dogs also has a factor with creating the larger packs as coydogs are larger, able to take down larger game using pack hunting strategies and therefor able to sustain larger numbers. Pure coyotes simply don’t want to fight over one mouse all the time.