Man Accused of Sexual Battery Against 13-Year-Old at Academy

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Courtesy: MGN Online

WILLOUGHBY, Ohio– Police said a man, employed as an adult houseparent at Andrews Osborne Academy in Willoughby, is accused of sexual battery against a 13-year-old male student.

Angel Pendleton entered a plea of guilty on two counts of sexual battery, which is a 3rd degree felony.

Willoughby police said school officials notified them about the complaint on April 10, 2012.

Pendleton, who lived in a student dorm house at the time of the incidents, was removed from the school when the complaint was filed.

He is no longer employed at the school and the student no longer attends the academy.

Andrews Osborne Academy released the following statement:

“The safety & well-being of our students is our number one priority.  We do everything in our power to prevent situations of this kind. We can assure our parents of our students that we conduct thorough background checks of all employees hired as well as extended boundary training for them. It is unconscionable and absolutely unacceptable that this type of discretion could have possibly occurred.”

During the investigation, Pendleton moved back to California; he turned himself in to authorities last month.

Willoughby police said there were no indications that there were any other victims at the school.

Pendleton will be sentenced in August.