CHARDON, OH -- It's been less than a month since the families of the Chardon High School shooting victims filed litigation against the administrators of the Chardon Healing Fund.
Since then, some of the money has remained frozen until Thursday, when Judge Tim Grendell ruled that money be set aisle for the families.
It's a bittersweet victory for the families of 16-year-old Danny Parmertor, 16-year-old Demetrius Hewlin, and 17-year-old Russell King, Jr.
"It frustrates me because they should have gotten the money right away when it first happened. I don't know why all these shenanigans have to go on," said Mike Lane, of Chardon.
Thursday, Judge Tim Grendell ruled that $50,000 from the Chardon Healing Fund be disbursed to the shooting victims and their families.
In addition, $25,000 will go to community needs and another $25,000 will go to mental health services.
This is a portion of the amount that the families have sued the administrators of the Chardon Healing Fund for, including the United Way of Geauga County and the United Way of Greater Cleveland, who said all along their intent was to help the entire community recover.
"We're pleased that the judge sees the dual purpose of the fund by setting aside money for the families, but also the community. We will obviously abide by the judge's ruling in the case," said Bill Kitson, President & CEO of United Way of Greater Cleveland.
Since the shooting on February 27, 2012, court documents indicate the fund has raised more than $960,000 dollars, but the victims families saw less than $150,000 dollars.
"It upsets me. It makes me feel like I can't donate money anymore because I don't know where it's going anymore," added Lane.
Judge Grendell appointed a retired judge to be the mediator in the case.
The healing board still can't authorize spending without the court's approval and it will stay that way until the trial in December.