Victim’s Mom Talks About Chardon Fund

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHARDON, Ohio -- A judge will soon hear a lawsuit filed against the Chardon Healing Fund by the families of three students killed in last year’s shooting at the high school.

The hearing will be held in the Geauga County Probate Court at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Holly Walczak, mother of Nick Walczak, who was paralyzed in the shootings, says the Chardon Healing Fund help her make modifications at her home.

She said the money helped construct ramps, remodel a bathroom, and buy a car that Nick can drive.

“Anything we need they have been there for us,” said Holly Walczak.  “I actually have a lift in the garage so he doesn’t have to get out in the snow or the rain, that kind of thing, they have been more than generous.”

The healing fund was established after Demetrius Hewlin, Daniel Parmertor, and Russell King, Junior were shot to death at the school.

The families of those three filed suit against the fund earlier this week saying they have received only a small portion of the nearly $1 million raised.

But a member of the Chardon healing fund says the six victims and their families have received over $400,000 from the fund.

The Geauga County Board of Mental Health has been named as a defendant in the suit, but Geauga County Prosecutor Jim Flaiz says he is filing a motion to get the agency removed as a defendant.

Flaiz says the suit alleges the mental health board has received monies to pay for counseling for other community members.

“They actually set up counseling and they pass the bill to the healing fund who then pays the bills,” Flaiz said.

The prosecutor hopes to file his motion Friday.

*Click here for extended coverage on the lawsuit ...