Mug Shots of Kidnap Suspects Released

Posted on: 8:55 am, May 7, 2013, by , updated on: 02:04pm, May 7, 2013

CLEVELAND — Family members say he was well-liked. Neighbors say he was a just “normal guy.”

But little else is known about the man whom police took into custody Monday afternoon after three women, missing for at least 10 years, were found alive in his home.

Ariel Castro, 52, along with his two brothers, 54-year-old Pedro Castro and 50-year-old Onil Castro have been arrested. Police say they are all in the Cleveland city jail, awaiting charges.

Police searched Castro’s Seymour Avenue home last night as part of their investigation. Before Monday, no criminal complaints had been placed against that address, Cleveland Safety Director Marty Flask said.

There was, however, a police visit to the home in 2004 on a call from Children and Family Services. Flask said Castro had allegedly left a child on a school bus unattended, but no charges were ever filed. The officers who went to Castro’s home never made contact with him, Flask said.

Neighbors say they are stunned by the allegations against the seemingly average Castro.

“I mean, he’s just a normal guy. That goes to show you how people are,” Javier Marti said.

A man who identified himself as being Ariel Castro’s uncle said he couldn’t believe the news.

“I went over there, and I said, ‘This is my nephew’s house. This can’t be happening,’ whew, God. But then they confirmed it,” said Julio Castro.

Julio Castro says his nephew was a bass player who also worked as a school bus driver. He did not mention details about his other nephews.

Cleveland police said at a Tuesday news conference that they had the right men in custody.

“We believe we have the three suspects responsible for the kidnappings,” Cleveland Police Deputy Chief Edward Tomba said.

*For continuing coverage on this story, click HERE.