1st Indictments Filed After Increased Rape Kit Testing

Posted on: 7:37 pm, March 15, 2013, by , updated on: 07:39pm, March 15, 2013

Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore

CLEVELAND, Ohio — The first two criminal indictments have been filed after the state’s increased efforts to examine Ohio’s untested rape kits.

Attorney General Mike DeWine said the indictments — involving two Cuyahoga County cases — are “just the beginning.”

“This is why I decided to make our Bureau of Criminal Investigation available to test all old sexual assault kits that hadn’t yet been tested,” said DeWine. “Our scientists are getting DNA matches on a regular basis and handing that information over to local law enforcement for further investigation. We are thrilled that our effort is now solving cases.”

Out of around 600 rape kits tested so far, 90 have yielded DNA hits, according to a release issued by DeWine’s office.

The indictments returned this month in Cuyahoga County date back around 20 years.

In one case, Charles Steele, 60, was indicted for the rape and kidnapping of a Cleveland woman in 1993. According to the release, Steele is accused of attacking the victim at gunpoint after forcing her into an abandoned garage.

Two days after the indictment, BCI matched Steele’s DNA to another attack on a Cleveland woman who happened eight months after the first incident. Charges in that case are pending. The suspect is currently in prison on a Hamilton County rape conviction.

“Law enforcement has a duty to give prison DNA matches a 110 percent effort because  one, they are almost certain convictions, and two they incapacitate the offender and prevent him from committing his next rape,” said Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy McGinty. “These cases should be law enforcement’s highest priority. Dollar for dollar this is the most productive use of a detective’s time, bar none.”

Also indicted was Anthony Moore, 42, on charges of rape, kidnapping, felonious assault and attempted murder in connection with another 1993 crime. The case was investigated by the Cleveland Police Department.

“These indictments reflect the hard work of our detectives and their dedication to the cold cases which they continue to investigate. The initiative has already proven to be successful and shows how our partnership with BCI results in solving these cases, even after many years,” Cleveland Police Chief Michael McGrath said in the release. “Most importantly, the indictments will hopefully bring some comfort to the victims and their families as they continue on the road to recovery.”

So far, 53 law enforcement agencies have submitted a total of 2,465 rape kits to BCI for the DNA testing services, which are free to law enforcement, the release states. More than 1,000 of those cases are from Cleveland.

“More DNA hits mean more cold cases become open investigations for our local law enforcement agencies,” said DeWine. “My office is dedicated to helping our local authorities resolve as many of these cases as possible. I encourage any department with sexual assault kits that have not been tested, no matter how old the case is, to submit them now. We want them. We want to help bring justice to the victims. We want to solve more cases.”

DeWine announced the sexual assault kit testing initiative in December 2011, hiring four new Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) forensic scientists to focus exclusively on testing the old kits.

The scientists went through a period of training before beginning the testing in May 2012.