STOW, Ohio -- A local couple is facing felony charges after police say they found evidence that they were manufacturing methamphetamine inside a home where they were raising five children.
Stow Police Chief Louis Dirker tells Fox 8 that an anonymous caller tipped off school officials that Jason Little, 37, and Brandi Little, 28 were making the dangerous drug at their home on Lillian Road.
After consulting a DARE officer, officials at Lakeview School talked with the couple's 12-year-old son and noticed what they believed to be an unusual smell on his clothing.
The information was shared with police who went to the home with the assistance of the Summit County Drug Unit.
"They put together a case and they got enough probable cause to go up and do what they call a knock and talk," said Dirker. "They knocked on the door and talked to Jason and Brandi Little, ended up getting consent search, went in the house and found all the paraphernalia for making methamphetamine in the house."
Photos taken by police show chemicals stored in the house and in an attached garage that are consistent with the manufacture of meth, including multiple boxes of antihistamines.
The photos also include what investigators say is an active 'one-pot' meth lab that was discovered in the basement of the home.
"If there is an active lab, the odors from the chemicals are very strong and they will leech into clothing, carpet, drapes, anything, so this odor would be very, very strong," said Inspector Bill Holland of the Summit County Sheriff's Office.
Holland says when the meth is being made in the home labs it 'cooks' at a temperature of about 12,000 degrees.
"It could blow up in someone's face, not to mention a small child can ingest these chemicals, whether they be chewing on something, it gets on their hands and they put their hands in their mouth, it can be deadly for a child," said Holland.
Police arrested the Littles and charged them with multiple felonies made more serious because of the involvement of children.
Dirker says the youngsters in the house are ages 2, 8, 9, 11 and 12.
All of the children were taken to a local hospital for examination and then turned over to Summit County Children Services.
"It's very dangerous and it's not chemists and scientists that are producing these labs," said Holland. "They are drug addicts and they have not had the training or education to know what happens when they mix these chemicals, they are getting the information, the instructions off the Internet and we all know how reliable that is sometimes."
"If nothing else we removed these kids from a very unsafe environment," concluded Chief Dirker, who praised the tip caller.