(CNN) — George Zimmerman is seeking to delay his trial as he is desperate for more money to fund his legal defense.
Zimmerman’s lawyer, Mark O’Mara, posted online that they have nearly used up the more than $300,000 dollars in public donations.
O’Mara says he can’t possibly finish preparing for trial in June without money.
The Orlando Sentinel reports O’Mara filed paperwork on Wednesday asking a judge to delay the trial.
Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder for shooting 17-year-old Trayvon Martin last year.
Prosecutors say he profiled and pursued the teenager.
Zimmerman claims he fired in self-defense after he was attacked.
O’Mara says they will need to raise at least $30,000 dollars a month to be ready for trial.
He predicts the defense could cost more than $1 million.