December 13, 2012
Need something fun to do this weekend? Check out John Caparulo at Hilarities this weekend! A regular on the Chelsea Lately show on “E!,” John started our morning off with some laughs.
Just because you are going to a Holiday party, doesn’t mean you have to pack on the pounds! Jen Ference from Weight Watchers joined us in the kitchen to show you some of your favorite Holiday dishes with half the calories!
- Mini Bacon and Cheese Quiches: When you hear the words bacon, cheese, and quiche, you immediately think fattening. Not so with these tasty bites! We use fat-free egg substitute, fat-free evaporated milk, and low-fat cheese to create a lighter version of quiche. And turkey bacon cooked crisp adds lots of flavor with less fat. For the crust, we lighten it up by using wonton wrappers instead of a pie crust, so you get some crunch without all the calories. These will run you about 80 calories for 2 quiches, or about 2 PointsPlus.
- Roasted Eggplant Crostini: Finger foods are always perfect for a holiday party. And this one is no exception. This crostini has a lot of flavor packed into it for few calories. The flavor comes from roasting vegetables – eggplant, red peppers, onion, and garlic. Mix that with some tomato paste and you have a flavorful, easy to eat appetizer! And a quick tip: when you buy the bread at the grocery store have them cut it for you – it saves on prep time! These will only be about 50 calories, or 1 PointPlus for 1 crostini.
- Citrus Punch: A cocktail party needs a good cocktail, but they can be full of sugar and calories. For this Citrus Punch, we’ve taken some of the calories out by using diet ginger ale, but added lots of flavor with grapefruit juice, mango nectar, and orange juice concentrate. To give it a kick, we’ve added rum, but you can easily leave it out to make it non-alcoholic. For 1 cup this will run you about 100 calories, or 3 PointsPlus.
Nothing says Holiday’s like sweet potato pie! Aunt Oddie was back with her delicious treats.
Pickwick and Frolic Holiday
The Holidays are a perfect time to visit Pickwick and Frolic!
1. This Sunday is their annual Holiday Brunch that included a beautiful buffet, coloring stations for the kids and of course, SANTA!
- Sunday, Dec. 16th from 10am-3pm
- Santa on-hand from 11:30am-2:30pm
- $32.95 adults
- $16.95 kids 5-12
- free for kids 4 and under!
- reservations required (216)241-7425
2. In case you haven’t heard, the Mayan Apocalypse is happening Dec. 21st according to some people who follow the Mayan calendar. So just in case it IS our last night on earth, P&F is going out with happy hearts and full bellies. The ‘Hop-ocalypse’ is going to be a rich meal featuring all the dishes and drinks we’d want to enjoy before the world ends.
- Dec. 20th at 7:30pm
- 5 courses, taste one or enjoy them all
- $50 for all 5, or $15 per course
- exclusive craft beer offerings
3. And after we survive Hannukah, Christmas and Kwanzaa, it’s time to wave goodbye to 2012 and ring in 2013. P&F is having 5 top-shelf parties, all under one roof for New Year’s Eve.
- biggest balloon drop in the city
- headliners Dov Davidoff & Bryan Callen
- live music & dancing
- gormet buffet offerings & champagne toast
- multiple dinner & show packages
- reservations required
Some big movies are coming out! David talks to the stars of “The Hobbit” and “Les Miserables.”
December 14, 2012: www.thehobbit.com
December 25, 2012: www.lesmiserablesfilm.com
Best Beauty Gifts
The best beauty gifts for the Holidays? Who would know better than the Editor of Glamour Magazine? Andrea Pomeranz Lustig, Editor of Glamour magazine and author of “How to Look Expensive,” joined us live with the season’s hottest products!
For the Homebody:
- Bath & Body Works Holiday Home Décor, $19.50 each
- Thymes Frasier Fir 2-Wick Holiday Candle / Pinecone Poured Candle, $50 / $30
- Sabon Exquisite Minis, $34.00
For the Bling Queen:
- Bath & Body Works Flawless Gold 24K Silk Lotion, $19.50
- Lancome Paris Artliner in Golden Shimmer, $29.50
- Lancome Paris Petit Tresor Ombre Hypnose Limited Edition, $25
For the Teenybopper:
- Smashbox Cosmetics Studio Pop Eye Palette, $49, Studio Pop for Lips, $26
- Sally Hansen Salon Insta Gel Strips Starter Kit, $29.99
For the Sleep-Deprived Moms:
- Soap & Glory’s Tired-Eye Brightening Moisture Serum, $25
- Lancome Hypnose star Mascara Collection, $34
For the Men in your life:
- L’Occitane Men’s Ritual Set, $78
- Adidas Deep Energy 3-Piece Gift Set, PRICE: $10.99
To Fill the Stocking:
- Avon Party Polish Mini Set, $8.99 for the set
- Mally Beauty Ultimate Waterproof Eyeliner Library, $45
- Mally Beauty Slimline High Shine Library, $45
Cupcake in a Jar
Looking for a great teacher or hostess gift? Kristin Dimacchia from Little Devil Cupcakery was here to show us how to make cupcake jars! One of her signature Holiday flavors? Eggnog Bourbon and Caramel cupcakes!
Check out her cupcake recipe here!