November 28, 2012
David made the perfect recipe for this cold weather – Cheesy Potato Soup! His inspiration? Jessica Biel! David went behind the scenes of the new movie “Hitchcock” to interview Jessica and of course, talk food.
Making a Holiday wreath is easier than it looks when Boyert’s Greenhouse is here to help! Karisa Zinsmayer from Boyert’s brought in some finished products and then showed Kristi the how-to. Check out our video clip for your own inspiration!
Village Herb Shop
Scenting your home for the holidays with nodes of citrus, cranberry, and cinnamon has never been easier! Kathleen Gips from The Village Herb Shop in Chagrin Falls joined David in studio to demonstrate. Follow her easy “recipes” below or watch our video clip!
Simmering Spices: to add fragrance to the home
Combine 2 tablespoons each of the following:
- Orange peel
- Cinnamon Chips
Mix two tablespoons of cellulose fiber with 1/2 teaspoon each of cinnamon essential oil and sweet orange essential oils. Mix well. Add this scent to spices and mix well.
Add one tablespoon to one quart of
water. Simmer on the stove to fill your home with spicy scent.
Reed sticks: gently wick up the fragrance and diffuse through the surrounding air
- 10 to 12 bamboo shish kebob skewers
- 1 part perfume or essential oil (1/2 ounce)
- Narrow necked vase
Cut pointed tops of bamboo skewers so the ends are flat. Pour perfume or essential oil into vase. Put reed sticks in and turn three or four times to saturate reeds.
Holiday Room Spray
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 20 drops bayberry fragrance oil
- 4 ounces water
Carefully measure essential oils into a spray bottle. Fill with filtered water and add spray top. Label clearly with ingredients
Easy Potpourri Recipe
Arbor Vitae, mixed greens, Pine cones, balsam, rose-hips, cinnamon sticks sprinkled with fragrance oil.
Suggestions: Cinnamon, bayberry, vanilla, orange
Thirsty Dog Brewing Co.
It wouldn’t be the Holiday Season in Northeast Ohio without a little Christmas Ale flowing through our veins! Leave it to Tony Rizzo to sniff out the “Twelve Dogs of Christmas Ale” at Thirsty Dog Brewing Company in Akron!
We continue our ethnic cooking! Samua Cherry joined David in the kitchen for the Brazilian version of Stroganoff! Check out our video clip!
Finding Deals after Black Friday
Are you worried that skipping Black Friday and Cyber Monday may have cost you all the good deals? Have no fear! Rachel Krych from Couponing with Rachel says there are still great ways to save.
- ShopKick - this is an app for your cell phone that allows you to save money at the mall WITHOUT using coupons! It’s a shopping rewards program. When you walk into certain stores, the app recognizes you are there and you get “kicks.” Save up your kicks to earn gift certificate at your favorite stores (Macy’s, Toys R Us, Target, etc).
- Holiday Deals – just keep on eye out! Trivial Pursuit is only $1! It’s on sale at Toys r Us through TODAY. Remember – you can price match at Walmart! Bring the ad with you!
In between steals and deals of the Holiday Season, you may want to slow down for a bite to eat. We found a cool place serving up Viatnamese cuisine called, Gia Lai.