Intruder Fatally Shot by Homeowner Identified
David Fletcher (Photo Credit: Cuyahoga County Sheriff's Office)
CLEVELAND — A Cleveland man, sleeping on his couch, woke up to sounds of someone breaking into his back door.
He told police he grabbed a handgun and when he went to check it out, he found himself face to face with an intruder inside his house holding a knife. He fired one shot. The intruder ran through the back door and made it to the driveway where he collapsed and died.
Cleveland Police were called to the scene around 7:30 Wednesday morning, 5700 block of Portage Avenue.
Cleveland Police Captain Bob Romoga says, “Further investigation reveals the suspect kicked in the first floor door and was attempting to kick-in a second door when confronted by the homeowner. He was sleeping on the couch was when was forced up by the noise. He saw a knife, produced a handgun and shot the victim at least one time.”
The intruder has been identifed as 43-year-old David Fletcher.
No charges have been filed against the homeowner. Cleveland Police are investigating.
- Items Stolen from Baby's Grave; Video Finally Captures Image
- TMZ: Joan Rivers Says She's 'Not Apologizing' to DeJesus, Berry
- Corrections Officer Held Hostage for 5 Hours at Trumbull County Jail
- 12-Year-Old Girl Sexually Assaulted On Way to Learning Center
- Local Radio Host Calling Howard Stern As Trial Witness