November 14, 2012
David was back in the kitchen! This time with a recipe inspired by Alec Baldwin from the new animated movie, “Rise of the Guardians.” The crock-pot recipe for chicken and sausage was super easy and versatile!
With the holidays right around the corner, we needed some makeup looks to take us from work to party! Deb Banyasz, a personal beauty adviser from Sephora showed Kristi the perfect products for the job.
- Try Berry Lips: This lip really warms up entire complexion during the cold winter months and perfect for every skintone. Try Sephora Color Lip Last in 12 Royal Raspberry $12.
- Smoldering Eyes: always on trend and the best way to add a sultry, sophisticated element to your look. Just add a light-reflecting shade like the Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour in Smoke, $24, to the inner corners of eyes and blend into shadow on lid to punctuate entire look.
- Graphic Liner: thick liner is easy to add to any look and quickly takes you from day to night this holiday season.Keep it clean with a black liner like the LANCÔME PARISARTLINER – Precision Point Eye Liner in Noir $29.50 or elevate the entire look with a gold liquid liner like the SEPHORA COLLECTION Long-Lasting 12HR Wear Eye Liner in Metallic Gold, $11. Either are easy to apply when rounding the holiday party circuit.
Great Clips Mini Makeover
You’ve heard that shampooing everyday isn’t good for your hair – so how do you keep your mane looking fresh? We headed to our Great Clips Salon to find out!
Run Your First 5K
Ever wanted to start running to stay in shape…but don’t know where to start? Laura Coletta, the Run Coordinator from Life Time Fitness in Beachwood broke down a game plan for Kristi.
Tip #1: Get started!
- Sign up for an event! When you’re gearing up for an event like a 5K, the hardest part is getting up off of the couch for the first time and committing to it. Just signing up for a 5K, you’ve made an impressive first step.
- Commitment Day 5K on January 1, 2013
- 5K’s are purposely made for beginners
- Persistence and positivity is key!
Tip #2: Preparing for your first 5K
- Get involved in a training program that utilizes run/walk intervals to build endurance
- Life Time Fitness is offering a free 5K training course for members and non-members who are running in the Commitment Day race
- Program takes place twice a week for eight week (Tuesdays and Thursdays)
- Pace is important! Run at a steady and conversational pace
- Listen to your heartbeat and find a pace that works for you
- Heart rate monitors and/or listening to your body
- Train where you race. If you will be running outside, train outside.
- Wear proper clothing and footwear
Tip #3: The day of the race
- Carb-loading fact v. fiction
- Don’t change your diet for the race. Eat normally.
- Perfect pre-race meal: whole grain bagel with natural peanut butter
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
- Importance of hydrating in colder weather
- Utilize the water stations along the course
- 45 and optimize
- Refuel 45 minutes after your workout
- Perfect snacks: oranges and bananas
Comedian, and now author, Mike Polk joined us on the New Day set to talk about his new book, “Damn Right I’m From Cleveland.” If you want to laugh as much as we do when Mike’s here, check out his Book Release Extravaganza!
Mike Polk Jr.’s Book Release Extravaganza
Wednesday, November 28th
Pickwick and Frolic’s Hilarities
Doors/Cocktails @ 7pm
Show @ 8pm
Winter Beer Season
Clevelanders are no strangers to “Christmas Ale,” but did you know there are a lot more choices when it comes to winter brews? We welcomed “The Beer Guy” from The Wine Spot, Jon Passow!
Jon’s picks for the season?
- Fat Heads’ Holly Jolly
- Thirsty Dog’s 12 Dogs of Christmas
- Breckenridge Christmas Ale
- Great Divide Hibernation
- Bison Brewing Gingerbread Ale
- Samuel Smith Winter Welcome
We’ve been busy taste testing all of your great ethnic dishes, and today in traditional island fashion, we had a Hawaiian Luau! New Day Cleveland Viewer, Hank Okuma, showed Kristi how to make Oven Style Kalua Pork!