Fox 8 News in the Morning anchor Stefani Schaefer shared some news on her Facebook Fan Page on Wednesday regarding a scare after Sandy, that ended up being a blessing in disguise.
Her husband Roger suffered a severe head injury when he fell off of scaffolding in April.
Since then, viewers have responded with an outpouring of support for Stefani and her family.
In her latest post, Stefani wrote that her family was thankful for its blessings in light of all the disaster they saw during Hurricane Sandy.
Stefani’s entire post, in her own words, explains why…
“Hope you are all recovering from Super Storm Sandy. I ache for all the people who have suffered through this storm. It just breaks my heart to see the video – especially from the east coast. We ended up losing power Monday evening until yesterday morning. My children’s school was called off – so I called off work yesterday too. It was the very first time in my 20 years in the business to call off because my kids were off school. Usually, bad weather days are THE days that I made sure I am at work – no matter what. In years past, there were a few occasions when I’ve come in early and slept on the couch in the green room just to be SURE I would make it in to work. On those days, Roger always stayed home from work to be with the kids. As a news person, bad weather days are the days we need to be there for our viewers. But this time, I also knew I needed to be home with my children, especially since we didn’t have power. I felt so guilty calling off. But turns out, it was a true BLESSING that I was home. Since our power was off for so long, our house was freezing cold. The kids and I took out a lot of our food in the freezer and put everything in bags and were going to take it to my Mother In Laws. We loaded up our car and were on our way out the door when a friend called and that’s when I noticed a light was on in the bathroom. I yelled to the kids who were getting in the car to come back in! Everyone was SO excited our power was on. We brought everything back in the house and I called my Mother In Law to tell her that our power was on and we didn’t need to come after all. I was still on the phone with her when I saw flashes and heard loud POP sounds! I asked the kids if it was their video game… and Siena said no, “Mom, it’s coming from the dining room!” I rushed in there… and flames were shooting from the wall socket. The CO detector and another plug were completely on fire. I know I shouldn’t have done this, but at the moment I panicked, I just had to protect my kids and our house, so I grabbed the wire and ripped it out of the wall and pulled out the CO detector. Thank God the flames died down. I called 911 and they told us to get out of the house. Within a minute, Police arrived and shut off the breaker box and then the Fire Department arrived. They all said we were very lucky… lucky that I was home with the kids at the time and lucky that we had not just left…. or our house could have been destroyed. Immediately, I was feeling like we are just living under a dark cloud with all of this horrible stuff happening… but as I started thinking… I began to realize how lucky and blessed we are. Thank God I had called off work… thank God my kids weren’t home without me when this fire started. Thank God I was home at the time to pull those plugs, thank God we are all fine. Thank GOD MY CHILDREN ARE ALRIGHT. I feel SO very blessed today… and actually, quite LUCKY. I know that sounds crazy, but I do. A HUGE thank you to the wonderful police and fire departments who showed up so quickly and helped! I can’t say it enough… YOU are real heroes!! One of the Captains told me yesterday that he was one of the first responders on the scene of Rogers accident 6 months ago. I thank God for that man too…. He has now helped everyone in my family… and quite possibly helped to save Rogers life… since those first few moments after the accident were very critical. On this Halloween…. some tricks…. and lots of treats. Lots of blessings and much appreciation.”