This traditional Italian salad is a delicious way to enjoy the abundance of end-of-summer produce!
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 cucumber, seeded and sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons capers
- ½ cup imported black olives, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup (or as needed) extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 cups cubed crusty French or Italian bread
- ¼ cup shredded fresh basil
In a large mixing bowl, combine the onion the vinegar and let it stand while you cut up the other vegetables.
Add the tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, capers, olives, and olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Let stand for 30 minutes to marinate.
Toss the bread and basil with the vegetables and let sit another hour or so the bread can absorb the dressing and vegetable juices. If the salad seems dry, drizzle with a bit more olive oil. Serve at room temperature.
Makes 6-8 servings.