September 5, 2012
Hollywood and Dine
David sat down with the butt-kicking Milla Jovovich for her latest “Resident Evil” film and learned she’s also quite a cook! Inspired by Milla, with a Mossman twist, David assembled a Nicoise Salad with tuna!
Pickwick and Frolic: Beer
All this week we’re celebrating the 10th anniversary of Pickwick and Frolic! They are known for their delicious food and exciting shows, but they also have an extensive list of great beer! Our very own Mike Polk stopped downtown to do some “research,” which involved lots of taste testing.
Stop by Pickwick and Frolic this weekend for some special dining and drink deals!
Upcoming Ohio Festivals
Fall festival season is about to kick off in Northeast Ohio! Here highlighting some of these great events was Kristian Campana, the man behind the Ohio Festival Blog.
- Marion Popcorn Festival – September 6-8, 2012
- St. Nicholas Greek Festival – September 6-8, 2012
- Yankee Peddler Festival – September 8-23, 2012 (weekends)
- Pawpaw Festival – September 14-16, 2012
Playhouse Square: War Horse
This is one show you don’t want to miss! Remember the movie “War Horse?” Well, it’s also a stage production and headed to Cleveland. Set in England during World War I, the play tells the story of a young boy’s horse who is sold to the cavalry. Unable to forget “Joey,” the young boy sets out on a dangerous journey to bring him home. Using 8 foot tall horse puppets controlled by three actors, this tale comes to life and you forget it’s not real!
War Horse will be at Playhouse Square April 9 – 21.
Seemingly Healthy Foods to Avoid
You think you’ve made a healthy choice in choosing canned fruit, granola, or pretzels to snack on, but that’s far from the truth! Here to clear up the confusion was Registered Dietician, Kristin Kirkpatrick.
- Granola – VERY high in calories and usually has trans fat. Usually a bad choice for breakfast but people see it as “natural” and so they perceive it to be “healthy.”
Alternative: shredded wheat with berries and walnuts
- Canned Fruit – getting fruit canned means much more concentrated sugars.
Alternative: whole fruit
- Turkey Bacon – don’t fool yourself that this is superior than the pork version. Even though it’s turkey, it can still have nitrates and nitrites in it which may be linked to cancer. Further, it could still be sky high in sodium.
Alternative: sautéed shitake mushrooms
- Brown Sugar – regardless of the source, ANY sugar will rapidly increase your blood sugar and insulin followed by a dive. This cycle may promote inflammation in the body making us more prone to chronic disease.
Alternative: sweeten with vanilla or fresh berries
- Muffins – LOADED with calories, sugar and fat. Usually a really bad choice for the morning.
Alternative: whole wheat cinnamon raisin bread with 100% natural peanut butter
Akron Restaurant Week
We are about to kick off Akron’s Restaurant Week! Developed by the Downtown Akron Partnership Junior Board, this week is meant to encourage residents of the Akron area to explore the dining scene of Downtown Akron. This four-day event provides reasonably priced “prix fixe” dinner menus at a variety of Downtown restaurants, making it easy and enjoyable to try something new! Here today was one of the 9 featured restaurants, Bricco! Chris Allrutz whipped up one their popular dish of pesto penne.
Akron Restaurant Week starts Monday, September 10 and runs till Thursday, September 13.
Great Clips Mini Makeover
They’re not dangerous and they don’t spread disease, but it can be every mother’s worst nightmare. Lice! With the kids heading back to class, we teamed up with our friends at the Great Clips Salon to talk prevention and treatment.
Check out their all natural and effective line, “Lady Bug,” designed to prevent and treat lice!