August 8, 2012
Eat This, Not That
We all know how tempting it is to pig out at barbecues, but now we can fill our plates with the healthier options. Kristin Kirkpatrick, registered Dietician at The Cleveland Clinic, brought in a quick comparison of the typical backyard barbeque menu.
Eat Veggies and Hummus instead of Chips and Dip
1. Obvious reduction of calories and sodium
2. Increase in protein and fiber
Use Fat-Free Greek Yogurt instead of Whipped cream or Sour cream
1. More protein, less fat, not processed
Drink Wine instead of Full Calorie Beer
1. 4 oz wine versus 12 oz beer can be 20-100 calories different
2. Wine contains flavanoids which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties
Use Mustard instead of Ketchup
1. Less sugar (7 grams of sugar more in ketchup- both 2 Tbsp)
Other great tips:
- Substitute the enriched or white buns and bread for whole wheat products—provide more fiber to make you fuller
- If you do choose a burger, try blotting it in a paper napkin before putting it on your bun—take off a few extra calories from fat
- Drink lots of water—stay hydrated in the heat and fills you up more
Hollywood and Dine
It’s Wednesday! That means David was in the kitchen with another Hollywood inspired recipe. This dish came from his recent interview with Jessica Biel for her new movie, Total Recall. A very healthy version of a classic meal, David made us Vegetarian Pasta.
Angels for Kids: Back to School
Some local kids have had a tough start to life, but thanks to the Angels for Kids foundation, they won’t have a tough start to the new school year. Shanyn Flesch from Angels for Kids joined Kristi to talk about a great events coming up August 15th and 20th. On these days, deserving kids get new outfits and makeovers to compliment their own personal style and rock their first day of school!
To learn more and get involved, visit www.angelsforkidsfoundation.com
Warren County Tourism
There’s still plenty of time to visit Ohio’s Largest Playground! Just jump on route 71 and head south to Warren County. Bridget Coughlin, from Warren County Convention and Visitors Bereau, talked Kings Island, Great Wolf Lodge, Ozone Zipline Adventures, and more! If you are looking for a girlfriend’s getaway, Warren County is also a premiere shopping destination, with Premium Outlets in Monroe and the antiquing towns of Lebanon.
Plan your trip at www.ohioslargestplayground.com
Who’s Who at the Zoo
If you’ve ever suffered from job envy, be prepared to get jealous again! We went behind the scenes at the Cleveland Metropark Zoo to talk to Tiffany Mayo, one of their animal keepers. She demonstrated the typical training most animals go through when they arrive at the Zoo using “Mikey” the Sea Lion. Check out the video on our website!
We have another great vacation deal this week! Our favorite jet-setter, Angie McClure, was in studio today to talk Hawaii!
Canary Travel/United Vacations Annual Hawaii Sale!
- Roundtrip Air, 5 Nights Hotel
- Transfers, lei greeting and taxes
- Deposit $150 now – balance due 30 days prior to departure
- *Travel in September