Orange Bomb Threat Suspect Gets Probation

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CLEVELAND -- One of three teenagers charged with making bomb threats to Orange High School has been sentenced to probation, indefinitely, Fox 8's Elisa Amigo reports.

A Cuyahoga County Juvenile Court judge on Monday morning warned the 17-year-old that any probation violations could land him in juvenile detention until the age of 21. In June, the teen pleaded guilty to seven counts of inducing panic, and one count of possessing a criminal tool. His name was not released as he is a minor.

After agreeing to prosecutors and the defense's request to put him on probation, Cuyahoga County Juvenile Court Judge Joseph Russo told the teen, "If in fact young man you do not comply with the terms of probation, or do something else, you will go away (until) you're 21."

Judge Russo said because the teen was an honors student, without any prior criminal charges, there was a low risk for the teen to repeat his mistake.

"Hopefully, they can rehabilitate this young man and he won't do it again," said parent Cheryl Thomas. "Both of my children graduated from Orange High School a couple years ago, so I remember the last year my youngest daughter was there, it was really scary."

"I just hope they learn a lesson from it not to be stupid," said Carey Miller. "I think he should have served time in the juvenile detention or whatever, but this is what he plead out to so you got to live with it."

The judge also ordered the teen to pay restitution, serve 150 hours of community service and write an apology letter to the Orange Schools District. He agreed to testify against the two other teens charged in the incident. Their trial is scheduled for September 24.

In November, Orange High School was shut down for three days after officials received emails that threatened certain staff members and the use of explosives. The letters were untraceable because of an encrypted online server.

The teens were expelled after a search of one of their homes turned up crucial evidence.

Stick with Fox 8 News and FOX8.com for updates on this story as they become available.