Recipe: Stone Fruit Crostata
*This recipe is property of Chef Jonathon Sawyer and Chef Matt Danko.
Stone Fruit Crostata
2 cups Flour
1/2 cup Sugar
½ t. Salt
1/4 cup ground Hazelnuts
½ t. Lavender
1 stick Cold Butter Diced
For the Filling:
½ c. Sugar
2 T Calvados, or your favorite liquor
Zest from one Orange
For the Assembly:
2 T Sugar in the Raw
Purchasing and Prep
1. For the tart dough combine the flour, sugar, salt, and hazelnuts in a food processor and pulse to combine.
2. Next add the butter and blend in the food processor until the dough looks like lose sand then incorporate the egg and process until the dough forms. Remove the dough from the food processor and divide into two equal balls wrap in saran wrap and flatten slightly with your hands. Place into the fridge for at least 2 hours but preferably overnight.
3. To make the filling slice the fruit by first splitting in half, removing the pits, and then slicing into ½ inch slices, place in a bowl and set aside.
4. Toss the fruit in the Calvados first then add the sugar & lemon zest. Stir to combine. Let rest 20 minutes and strain off juices.
5. To assemble remove the dough for the fridge and place on a well flour surface and roll the dough out away from you giving it a quarter turn between rolls. Turning the dough should provide you with a circular dough. Continue rolling the dough out until it reaches a thickness of about 1/8 inch.
6. Place the rolled out dough in the center of a well greased sheet tray, in the center of the dough place the filling and spread leaving a three inch border. Be sure that the filling doesn’t exceed two inches in height over the dough otherwise the crostata will not cook evenly.
7. Fold the excess dough towards the center of the crostata in a circular motion forming a crust. Whip the egg and with a pastry brush & lightly coat the crust of the crostata and dust sugar over top.
8. Bake the crostata in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10-15 minutes, before slicing. serve warm & enjoy.