Officials Warn of Algae Possibly Containing Toxins at Fairport Harbor Beach
FAIRPORT HARBOR, Ohio –Officials with the Lake Metroparks are warning the public after a water sample tested positive for blue-green algae.
According to John Venen with the Lake Metroparks, the positive sample was returned on Monday afternoon.
Venen says that officials wasted no time in putting up signs warning swimmers of the positive test, as is required by the Ohio Department of Health.
Blue-green algae can produce a filmy or scummy type of liquid from their blooms.
The scummy liquid, according to the Ohio Department of Health, is capable of harboring neurotoxins, that can affect the nervous system, and hepatotoxins, which affect the liver.
According to Venen, test results have yet to determine if the blue-green algae contains the toxins.
The Ohio Department of Health says that children and the elderly are most at risk if they swim in the water