Accused Chardon Shooter to Stay in Youth Center
CHARDON, Ohio — The teenager accused of killing three students and wounding three others in the February shooting at Chardon High School remains in a juvenile detention center, despite the fact that he will face trial as an adult.
T.J. Lane, 17, faces multiple charges including aggravated murder.
He has pleaded not guilty to firing the shots that killed Demetrius Hewlin, 16; Russell King Jr., 17; and Daniel Parmertor, 16.
Since entering that plea, Geauga County Common Pleas Judge David L. Fuhry signed a warrant ordering the Geauga County Sheriff’s Office to transport Lane from the Portage-Geauga Juvenile Detention Center, directly to the Geauga County Safety Center, where he was to be housed with adult inmates.
The order was to be carried out on June 18, but was recalled.
Responding to a motion filed by Lane’s attorneys, the judge has since allowed him to stay in juvenile detention.
The motion requests that the court seal the details of the request, citing reports of Psychologist Dr. Phillip Resnick and Dr. Sandra McPherson.
Resnick, of Case Western Reserve University, testified earlier this month that Lane suffers from hallucinations, depression and has shown symptoms of schizophrenia.
Judge Fuhry, on June 18, granted the motion saying, “The defendant shall continue to be detained at the Portage-Geauga Juvenile Detention Center until such time as he or his representative posts bond, or until further order of the court.”
The judge also said, “Beginning on June 18, 2012, daily costs of detention at the Portage-Geauga Juvenile Detention Center shall be paid by the defendant.”
Fox 8 News could not confirm who was paying for Lane to remain at the juvenile detention center.
In Chardon, the decision is met with mixed reaction.
“I guess if it is being paid for, why not,” said Jamie Anderson, who added taxpayers would have to foot his bill at the adult jail.
“He’s being tried as an adult, and he should go to the adult place,” said Lu Ann Kennedy.