June 20, 2012
Hollywood and Dine
The New Day crew loves Wednesdays! David got a chance to sit down with the co-star of “The Amazing Spiderman,” Emma Stone, and talk baking. Emma’s secret to delicious banana bread? Buttermilk. David hunted down her exact recipe and demonstrated how easy it is to make.
Need some energy? We’ve all heard of energy drinks like Red Bull, Monster, and Five Hour Energy, but do we really know what we are drinking? Katie Miklavcic, a dietician at Parma Community General Hospital, told Kristi what we should know before we sip.
What you should know:
- While energy drinks are safe for the majority of consumers when used in moderation (caffeine <300mg/day) the high caffeine content poses serious health risks for some populations.
- Evidence is insufficient to conclude that energy drinks are more effective at improving cognition or increasing energy than traditional caffeinated beverages like coffee, tea and colas.
- Never combine energy drinks with alcohol! When combined, people may not realize the degree to which they are intoxicated. Meaning, they may misinterpret their level of inebriation and attempt to drive, etc.
We all know how humidity can make your hair go flat in seconds. So we decided to get a few tips and tricks from the pros at Great Clips.
Seal your hair by misting large sections with humidity-resistant hair spray and gently curling.
Sondheim on Sondheim
If you haven’t been to Playhouse Square lately, here is a reason to go! On stage right now at the Hanna Theatre is a production that honors one of broadway’s best. This live musical journey, combined with exclusive interview material, includes dozens of tunes from Sondheim’s amazing 50-year Broadway legacy that includes West Side Story, Gypsy, Into the Woods and many more.
Sondheim on Sondheim
Now – July 8, 2012
If you’re looking for some great places to visit this summer, we know of several in Washington County, Pennsylvania! JR Shaw, executive director of Washington County Tourism, was in studio today to tell us about their great shops, attractions, and new events.
Places to visit:
1. PA Trolley Museum – you can take a trolley ride and explore retired/restored trolleys. A few of them have roots to Northeast Ohio!
2. Meadowcroft Rockshelter and Historic Village – this is a close up look at an archeological dig. This is the oldest site of human habitation in North America
3. Spring House – They make the best chocolate milk around. You can also stop in for lunch.
5. Sarris Candies – A boutique candy company (with an attached ice cream shop) that has been producing gourmet chocolate for more than 50 years. Stop in to see the 1500 pound chocolate castle made by hand!
Events to attend:
Mylan Classic (golf – 4 day, 72 hole golf competition, will air on Golf Channel)
August 27 – Sept 2nd
Southpointe Golf Club
Pennsylvania Bavarian Oktoberfest
Did you know that there is bacteria that is good for you? Dr. Jane Semple sat down with David to talk probiotics, aka beneficial bacteria. According to Dr. Semple, since so much of your immune system is within your digestive system (50 to 75%), it is very important to maintain a level of good bacteria. An overgrowth of bad bacteria can lead to inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn’s, Asthma, Eczema, and much more.
How we get probiotics?
- Breast milk
- Raw milk
- Pickles and sauerkraut – naturally fermented not grocery store types that are made with vinegar
The next time you find yourself car shopping, you should keep this in mind. A local dealership is among the first in the U.S. to be a part of a new program that benefits consumers. We visited Mazda of Bedford to find out more about this program.
Now, all Motor Trend Certified Vehicles include the following benefits:
- Easy Care Vehicle Repair Coverage
- Easy Care Dent Repair
- Easy Care Key Care
- Easy Care Personal Assistant
- 72 Hour Exchange Policy