Man Charged in Strangulation Murder of Shaker Heights Woman
SHAKER HEIGHTS, Ohio — Authorities have charged a Maple Heights man with aggravated murder in connection with the strangulation death of a woman on May 4th.
According to Shaker Heights Police Chief D. Scott Lee, William D. Hammons, 20, was charged on Tuesday for his role in the murder of Sharon Anderson-Norfus.
The body of Anderson-Norfus, 60, was discovered inside her apartment on Warrensville Center Road in Shaker Heights the day after the murder, according to Lee.
The 20-year-old was released from the Lorain Correctional Facility last year after spending 12 months in prison on a charge of attempted robbery. Lee says he also had a criminal past as a juvenile.
“We feel confident the individual we have in custody is the individual that’s responsible for this homicide,” said Lee.
Lee would not say what led his detectives to Hammon. He was arrested on May 27th near the scene of the crime after police learned he was in possession of a gun, in violation of his parole.
Hammons remains in the custody of Shaker Heights Police and is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on Friday, June 15th in Shaker Heights Municipal Court.
- Items Stolen from Baby's Grave; Video Finally Captures Image
- TMZ: Joan Rivers Says She's 'Not Apologizing' to DeJesus, Berry
- Corrections Officer Held Hostage for 5 Hours at Trumbull County Jail
- 12-Year-Old Girl Sexually Assaulted On Way to Learning Center
- Man Arrested, 18 Locations Raided in Gambling Ring