Recipe: Fresh Twist on Fruit Salad
Recipe by Barbara Snow
- 4-5 cups of fresh fruit – sliced, quartered, or diced*
- 2–3 tablespoons simple syrup (recipe follows) – can add more if sweeter taste is desired
- 1/4 cup lemon OR lime juice (fresh is best)
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, reserving a few for garnish
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract (could substitute amaretto)
*strawberry, blueberry (leave whole), kiwi, cantaloupe, mango, watermelon, peach, apple and just about anything else.
- To make the simple syrup, place 1 cup water and 1 cup granulated sugar in a small pan. Over medium heat bring to a boil, then turn heat to medium-low and simmer for 3–5 minutes until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Since only 2–3 tablespoons of syrup are needed, store the rest in an airtight container and use for making sweetened drinks such as lemonade.
- Place washed, cut fruit in a large bowl and set aside.
- Place 2–3 tablespoons of simple syrup in blender. Add juice, mint and extract. Blend until smooth.
- Pour syrup mixture over fruit and toss to cover fruit (you may not need to use all the syrup). Cover bowl and chill up to overnight in refrigerator.
- Place in serving bowl and top with extra mint leaves which have been cut into thin ribbons.
Adapted from Sublime Fruit Salad by cheaphealthygood.blogspot.com.