Judi Dench – Jaipur Chicken Curry
Courtesy of myspicesage.com
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (add 1/4-1/2 tsp. if you like it spicy!)
- 3 Tablespoons crystallized ginger, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh mint or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice (juice of 1 lime)
- 1 cup cream or half and half
Place the chicken breasts in medium pan and cover with the chicken stock. Cover and simmer until tender. Remove the chicken from the stock, set aside and reserve 1 1/2 cups of the liquid.
Heat butter in a large, heavy skillet. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 8-10 minutes, until golden. Blend the ground coriander, ground cumin, turmeric, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, cayenne pepper, mint, and cloves.
Add the coconut milk and reserved chicken stock, cover and simmer 1/2 hour. Meanwhile, cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
Add the chicken to the curry, cover, and simmer 1/2 hour. Mix in lime juice and cream and heat, stirring, 5-10 minutes.
Serve with cooked white rice and offer condiments in small bowls at the table.
Some nice condiments: chopped hard-boiled egg, flaked coconut, raisins, chopped peanuts, chopped green onions, and mango chutney.