High school football scores

Chardon Superintendent Extends Stay with District

Chardon Superintendent

CHARDON, Ohio — Chardon Local Schools Superintendent Joseph Bergant II is extending his time with the district.

According to a news release from Chardon Schools, Bergant submitted his resignation in February. The Board of Education had been searching for a new superintendent, but after the tragic shooting at Chardon High, which took the lives of three students and injured two others, Bergant wanted to stay on-board.

Earlier this week, the Chardon BOE took steps to give Bergant an interim superintendent contract through the next school year.

The Chardon Local School District released the following statement about the decision:

“Before Monday February 27, 2012, due to Joe’s resignation, the board was in the process of finding a new superintendent. But after that tragic day our world changed. We, as a board, appreciate the fact that Joe has graciously agreed to put his future endeavors on temporary hold and, under his proven leadership, continue to guide the district in our healing process through the end of the 2012-2013 school year,” said board president Karen Blankenship. “The board would like to thank everyone that took the time to complete the application process through OSBA.”

The BOE also said it would start looking for a new superintendent towards the end of 2012 and beginning of 2013.