Chef Brandt Evans’ Brine Recipe
1 15-18 pound turkey
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 gallon vegetable stock
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 1/2 teaspoons allspice
2 garlic cloves smashed
1 gallon ice water
1 Red onion
1 sliced Granny smith apple
2 cinnamon sticks
1. In large stock pot, combine the vegetable broth, sea salt, herbs and spices and bring to a boil stirring frequently to be sure salt is dissolved.
2. Remove from heat, let cool to room temperature.
3. When broth is cooled place in a 5 gallon bucket. Stir in the ice water.
4. Wash dry your turkey. Make sure you have removed the innards. Place the turkey, breast down, into the brine. Make sure the cavity gets filled. Place the bucket in the refrigerator over night.
5. Remove turkey carefully, drain off excess brine and pat dry. Discard excess.
6. Cook the turkey as desired reserving the drippings for gravy. Keep in mind that brined turkey cook 20 – 30 minutes faster so watch the temp of gauge.